Looking for activities that also pack a wallop of culture? Here are some great things you can do around town.
- Head to the Hippodrome State Theater to watch the latest play on the mainstage or to enjoy the cinema, where educational, independent and foreign films are shown throughout the year.
- The Gainesville Community Playhouse is another great venue to catch several plays throughout the year.
- For a great taste of downtown culture, food and art, check out Art Walk Gainesville a free event on the last Friday of each month. The event takes place in several locations downtown and includes light hor d’oeuvres and drinks at certain venues.
- The Florida Museum of Natural History is located on the University of Florida’s campus, and has an array of permanent and featured exhibits ranging from Florida fossils to the 6,400 sq. ft. screen Butterfly Rainforest exhibit, featuring more than 1,000 butterflies and several species of birds and flowering plants.
- The The Doris Barden Community Cultural Center. The center was opened in 2011 with an endowment to establish a community cultural center where artists, arts organizations and community members could collaborate, grow, inspire and create for the sake of the Gainesville community and beyond.
- The 4most Gallery is the University of Florida School of Art + Art History’s new storefront art gallery featuring a variety of student, graduate, & local alumni artwork for sale to the general public. It’s located in the WARPhaus building in the downtown area.
- The Repurpose Project is a creative reuse center and gallery located in downtown Gainesville.
- Seasonal attractions include the Downtown Festival & Art Show in the fall and the Santa Fe College Spring Arts Festival.